When you're already planning a full day, gratuities may seem like one more expense. The truth is, thanking the people who help create your perfect day is important—let us help you navigate what's appropriate.
Some vendors don't expect a tip on top of their service charge, while some traditionally do. As in normal life, a tip is never required, but there are certain professions that it has become standard to include a tip in their price. Regardless, when a vendor and their team's service exceeds expectations, a tip on top of whatever is charged or figured is always appreciated. Thank you notes are also a great way to show your acknowledgement. Whatever you do, assign the task to distribute tip envelopes and thank you notes to a trusted deputy such as your parents or wedding planner.
Here are some vendors to consider tipping on your big day and about how much.
- Wedding Planners and Consultants: not expected, but 15% or a nice gift is appropriate.
- Hair and Makeup: generally expected, especially if you have multiple stylists for your entire bridal party. Usually 15–20% is standard.
- Officiant: expected to make a donation to the church around $50–100. May be higher if you've done pre-marital counseling or similar.
- Photographer/Videographer: not expected, but $50-200 per vendor is appropriate. If you have a second photographer helping out who is from a different studio, consider tipping them separately.
- Catering and reception staff: expected, usually 15–20% of your total food and drink bill. Double check your contract on this one, some vendors will include this ahead of time.
- Transportation: expected, about 15% of total cost.
- DJ/Entertainment/Musician: not expected, but usually around $30 per musician if you hire a band or $50 for DJs.
- Florist: not expected, but if you have a large amount of floral centerpieces or accents that require setup on the day of, 10–15% is a great way to say thank you for the extra leg work.
Find your perfect local vendors, Plan your perfect wedding, Share your perfect day - with Black Hills Bride.