5 Simple Steps to Choosing Your Colors
The colors you choose for your wedding set the tone for everything: the decor, the attire, even the wedding cake. Choose wisely, but don't let it overwhelm you.
- Set the mood. When is your wedding taking place? Seasons are a great place to start for your wedding colors. They already have a pallet that can be the base of your creation. BUT don’t be trapped in a box. Just because your wedding is in the fall does not constrain your choice to jewel tones and neutrals. Have some fun! Play with patterns and textures and let your personality really shine through.
Venue is also an important piece to setting the mood. Know what you can do through décor and how it will compliment the space. If your space has red carpet, it may not be the best idea to have your bridesmaids’ dresses clashing.
- Work together. Your fiancé shoudl have a say in all your wedding choices. Including them also means that the colors you choose work with their attire choices. If you choose a bold color, ask yourself if it will look good as a dress. Will it be attractive on someone? If you're using more than one color, make sure they compliment one another.
After you decide the statement color, choose a neutral to accompany it such as gray, black or khaki. These will be used as the men’s attire.
- It’s in the details. Maybe you don’t want the bridesmaids’ dresses to be a color – maybe they will be neutral, too. There are so many options to adding pops of colors through the details. Flowers are awesome accessories. Table décor and the touches to your cake are great ways to add color, as well.
- Do your research. Besides going with the season, it’s a great idea to look at a color wheel or check out the array of inspiration sites that offer color combinations. It helps to see the colors in action rather than imagining what they would look like together. If you are a trendy bride, checking out what’s in style doesn’t hurt either. Pastels, plum, sparkle, red? It really lies in what you think fits your personality as a couple.
Check out our Real Weddings section to see what other couples have chosen. You'll find all kinds of palattes for every season!
- Don’t over think it. Keep it simple. If your favorite color is purple, then go for it! There’s not a right or wrong answer for your wedding. You’re the one getting married afterall. Try to keep the color options to 3 or 4 – and feel free to get creative.
These 5 simple steps to choosing your colors will help you make a decision when the options are endless. Think through what you’d like the day to look like, how you would like the day to feel, and the setting you’ll be at. But most of all, choose something that fits both you and your partner's personalities.